Saving power of powerful printers

printerbonegreen

At home, my Samsung laser-printer uses 15W during standby. So, a few years back, in order to save power, I put it on a USB-controlled power-plug. Pretty soon I added a tiny script that would query cups if a print-job was queued and would switch the printer on and afterwards off again. It turned out to be a pretty effective power saving measure.

usbpowerswitching

Our two very big and reliable printers at realraum were even more power hungry, so I wanted to to something similar for the space.

Using the hardware I had on hand, I cobbled together the following:

* A BeagleBone Green to act as cups print-server and to run the python scripts.
* An empty 230V power-plug case, housing a 5V power-supply (for the BB) and a small opto-coupler isolated relay to switch the plug.
* A second power-plug case with a second small opto-coupler isolated relay.

While there is a lot of room for optimization, like a leaner BeagleBone image and better housing for the power-plugs, printing- and power-saving-wise it works very well.

As always you can find our code on Github. Stay tuned for updates.

Laser Engraved Zippo

Engraving Metal
1: Engraving Metal

Years ago we got some horribly expensive foil needed to engrave metal using our laser-cutter. Today is, as far as I know, our first attempt to actually use it.

People always seem to search for a lighter, but then forget to put them back. As a result, even the safely stored ones can never be found when a Bunsen needs to be lit (which we actually have an Piezo for that the evil smokers don’t want to steal) or a flame is needed for some project.

Reason enough to make a big deal out of nothing and sponsor an old but sturdy quality Zippo and mark it permanently with the r3 Logo!

Obviously the Zippo was empty. Just to be safe.

finished engraving with foil still attached
2: finished engraving with foil still attached

Afterwards the burned foil needs to be removed and the surface cleaned.

Finished is the engraved lighter. Not so bad for a first attempt, even though the result could be even nicer. Laser-speed was set to 10mm/s and power to 100% of the 60W.

Not to self for next time: don’t trust the red positioning dot without checking if it still corresponds to the actual laser position. The graphic was offset by a few mm. Still worked out though.

Works! The final working result is now stored in the drawer in Masha. As engraved on the lighter. :-) The lighter fluid is right across from it on the shelf.

Have fun and put it back!

Finished Engraving
3: Finished Engraving
r3 Lighter
4: r3 Lighter
stored in MaSha
5: stored in MaSha

the 20 cent “paperfuge” – Biohacking ist ein Kinderspiel

Das Jahr 2017 fängt schon cool an. Im Jänner machte ein Video einen viralen Rundgang durch die Science-Szene und preiste eine “centrifuge for 20 cent”an….ich so, whaaaat? Was ich anfangs für einen Hoax hielt stellte sich als eine ziemlich geniale Idee heraus.

Wer von euch kennt das Kinderspiel wo man mit einem Knopf und einer Schnurr mit bisschen Geschick zum Surren brachte? Ich weiß noch, dass ich es im Kindergarten mal probiert habe und auch meine Großeltern noch mit diesem Spiel aufgewachsen sind,…man brauchte immerhin nur einen Knopf und ein Stück Faden. Man hält die Schnurr an beiden Enden mit den Händen fest während sich in der Mitte der Knopf drehte, sofern man im richtigen Moment an den Enden zieht.

Bioengineers aus Stanford haben dieses Kinderspiel weiterentwickelt und daraus die “Paperfuge” gebastelt. Ein Hand betriebenes Gerät mit einer Scheibe anstatt dem Knopf, welches Leistungen von 120.000 rpm (rounds per minutes) schafft,…die übliche Tischzentrifuge im Labor schafft 14.000 rpm.

 

Wahnsinn, eine tolle Idee, denn viele schnelle Analysen über Infektionskrankheiten benötigen Zentrifugen als Arbeitsschritte, wie z.B. die Trennung von roten Blutkörper und Serum. Aber was tun, wenn man weder Strom noch die passende Ausrüstung dafür besitzt? Diese Pagerfuge könnte dafür die Lösung sein.

 

Welche weiteren Einsatzmöglichkeiten, außer Blutproben, diese revolutionäre Erfindung noch hat möchten wir im OLGA heraus finden und haben uns selber dieses Gerät gebastelt.

pagefuge

 

 

Erste Versuche mit einer Bakterien Zellsuspension sind vielversprechend. Nach ca. 5 Minuten “spielen” wurden die Zellen am Boden eines 0,2 mL Reaktionsgefäßes pelletiert.

cell pellete

Neben unterschiedlichen Modellen, Formen und Größen kann man noch das zu zentrifugierende Volumen als auch die Art der Probe versuchen zu variieren,…es gibt also noch viel auszuprobieren. Im Labor haben wir viele Arbeiten, welche Zentrifugationsschritte benötigen (DNA-Isolierung, Proteingewinnung, schlichte Abtrennung von Zellen aus Lösungen, usw.) und ich kann mir gut vorstellen, dass, wenn die Paperfuge sich experimentell als qualitative Alternative zur üblichen Tischzentrifuge heraus stellt, dies für viele Analysen-Labore in Entwicklungsländern eine günstige, Strom-unabhängige und schnelle Hilfe darstellen kann. Das Potenzial ist hoch, genau wie die Motivation :D